Meeting of The Chinatown Coalition (TCC)
Thursday, April 10, 2014
(For PDF version, click here)
Attendees: Barbara Rubel, Jessie Zimmerer, Ayanna Pressley, Joan Abbot, Vivien Wu, Chutze Chou, Kun Chang, Nancy Liu, Ziyu Zhou, Sherry Dong, Carolyn Rubin, Jesse Brackenbury, Bet Har Wong-Chan, Shirley Mark, Helen Chin-Schlichte, Richard Goldberg, Mark Liu, Chloe Poon, Kate Chang, Enoch Liao.
Meeting held at Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center
Notes taken by Enoch Liao, TCC Co-Chair
1. Project Update: Tremont Village Rehabilitation by Angie Liou, Director of Real Estate, Asian Community Development Corporation
Presented update on much needed improvements to an affordable housing complex.
2. Legislative Update by Ayanna Pressley, Boston City Councilor-At-Large
Councilor Pressley updated on various initiatives:
– Working on Committee on Healthy Women, Families & Communities
– Liquor license reform
– Trauma support services
– Sex & Health education for Boston Public Schools
– Day of Empowerment for Survivors of Sexual Violence and Our Allies on Saturday, April 26, 2014.
– For more information contact Councilor Pressley’s office at 617-635-4217
3. Adult Education Update: Chinese Progressive Association
Pong Louie presented an overview of the ESL and citizenship classes. For more info see www.cpaboston.com
4. The Greenway Conservancy is Hiring
Jesse Brackenbury, the new Executive Director, announcement that they are hiring. See www.rosekennedygreenway.org/jobs.
5. South Cove Manor
Pleased to announce that their new facility, the South Cover Manor Rehab Center Quincy Point is almost completed. Ribbon cutting ceremony on Tuesday, April 22 @ 10am. Update by Helen Chin-Schlichte.
6. WGBH’s AAPI Heritage Month Celebration. Save the date: May 22, 2014
7. Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center currently accepting applications
… for adult education programs. These classes fill up, so apply soon. All classes are free.
8. CPA’s 10th Annual Bike-A-Thon
Taking place on May 31, 2014 at 9am. See www.cpaboston.org for more information.