Meeting of The Chinatown Coalition (TCC)
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Attendees: Norman Eng, Courtney Ho, Mary Knasas, Joan Abbot, Richard Goldberg, Helen Chin-Schlicthe , Barbara Rubel, Bet Har Wong-Chan, Sherry Dong, Ziyu Zhou, Nancy Lin, Kye Liang, Enoch Liao, Chloe Poon, May Lui, Megan Cheung, Angie Liou, Vivien Wu, Kate Chang
Meeting held at Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center
Notes taken by Enoch Liao, TCC Co-Chair
1. Introductions & Welcome
2. Resources for Small Businesses, overview of free services available from the US Small Business Administration, presented by Norman Eng, Economic Development Specialist.
• Hoping to see more AAPI small business owners tap into the available resources.
• For more information, go to http://www.SBA.gov
3. Development Update, presented by Mary Knasas, Senior Planner at Boston Redevelopment Authority
• Mary provided maps and updated information on numerous projects in and around Chinatown.
• TCC members asked questions and provided corrections/updates to the map Mary presented.
• For more information about Chinatown and other projects, go to http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org.
4. Adult Education Update: ACCESS (American Chinese Christian Educational & Social Services, Inc.)
• Richard Goldberg presented an overview of adult education offerings from ACCESS on behalf of Anna Fan, director of adult education at ACCESS.
• For more info, go to http://www.chinatownaccess.org
5. South Cove Manor
• Pleased to report we had a great ribbon cutting ceremony on Tuesday, April 22. Currently going through licensing review. Hope to move residents on May 18 or on June 1. Update by Helen Chin-Schlichte.
• Pilot Shuttle Program – to keep connected to the Chinatown community, SCM planning to operate pilot program for shuttle service between 120 Shawmut Ave, Boston and Quincy Point for $5 round trip.
6. WGBH’s AAPI Heritage Month Celebration, Thursday, May 22 at WGBH Studios.
For more info, go to http://www.wgbh.org/support/boxoffice_asian_pacific_american_heritage_month.cfm
7. Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center currently accepting applications
… for adult education programs. These classes fill up, so apply soon. All classes are free.
8. Asthma Awareness Month activities at Tufts Medical Center during month of May.
Activities on Tuesday, May 13 from 3-5pm, and on Saturday, May 17 from 10am-12pm. Activities take place at Floating Hospital for Children.
9. Boston Shines
• Boston Shines running on May 20 from 8:30am to 12:30pm.
• Mayor Walsh coming to Elliot Norton Park to meet people and shake hands from 9:30-10am.
10. Best Corp class graduation on Friday, May 16, 2014 at 11:30am.
11. Ground breaking for Oxford Ping On project on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11am.